We love eggs! They’re one of the most versatile ingredients in the kitchen. From a simple omelette to a decadent mousse or Hollandaise sauce, you can take eggs in almost any direction.
There are more and more varieties of egg on offer in the supermarket these days – you can find deep brown or pearly white shells, yellow or orange yolks, or even duck and quail eggs. Get creative, make the most of these beauties and get stuck in to some incredible egg recipes!
EGGS ON TOAST
Perfect in its simplicity, there’s nothing more comforting than creamy scrambled eggs piled on top of buttery toast for breakfast. Master the basics with our super-simple recipes for scrambled eggs, poached eggs, and boiled eggs.
WATCH: HOW TO MAKE PERFECT POACHED EGGS – 3 WAYS
To make things a little more exciting, try out one of the following eggcellent tips:
- Stir a heaped teaspoon of white miso paste into scrambled egg before pouring the mix into the pan, then top with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- Butter your soldiers with smashed avocado and chilli sauce, and serve with some blanched asparagus spears… and a soft-boiled egg, of course.
- Pick fresh dill over your poached eggs, and finish with a pinch of sumac and a grating of lemon zest.
- Melt two sustainably sourced anchovy fillets in a little olive oil over a medium heat before frying eggs for a super flavour boost, then top with crisped-up sage leaves.
ALL DAY BREAKFAST
In the UK, egg recipes are often just seen as breakfast or brunch dishes; but in so many other parts of the world, eggs take centre stage no matter what time of day it is.
Throughout the Middle East, eggs are coddled in a spicy tomato sauce for shakshuka. In Mexico, eggs top spicy beans, tortillas and salsa in huevos rancheros. In China they are stirred through fried rice and in Spain, hunks of hearty tortillas are served up as tapas with a glass of sherry.
OMELETTES & FRITTATAS
Both great breakfast-for-dinner options, omelettes and frittatas carry flavour brilliantly, so change the fillings and toppings to suit your mood and the seasons.
WATCH: HOW TO MAKE A FOLDED OMELETTE
There are some fantastic omelette recipes on the website, from Georgina Hayden’s Bombay omelette to a delicious filled Mexican number.
Frittata, omelette’s slightly more substantial cousin, is the perfect portable lunch and a clever way of using up any odds and ends of veg that you might have hanging around. This super-seasonal Jersey Royal and broad bean frittata uses rich and creamy duck eggs (although you can swap in hen’s eggs if you prefer), and Gennaro’s frittata recipe uses up leftover cooked pasta – yes, really!
WATCH: PERFECT FRITTATA – 3 WAYS
STICK AN EGG ON IT
Eggs are a brilliant finishing touch to loads of dishes – popping an egg on top of just about anything can transform a dish! Some of our favourite stick-an-egg-on-it recipes are:
- Hungover noodles. This spicy veggie noodle stir-fry is taken to the next level with a runny fried egg on top. Yum!
- A bowl of delicious squash daal is transformed with a simple fried egg; or try it with a soft-boiled egg (5½ minutes is perfect), a few leaves of fresh coriander, a dollop of yoghurt and some mango chutney.
- Costa Rican black bean soup is transformed into a hearty dinner with eggs poached gently in the soup itself.
So why not take inspiration from around the globe and consider the humble egg when crafting your next meal? Let it shine like the true kitchen hero it is!
Hungry for more? Take a look at Jamie’s new baked egg recipes, then head over to the Jamie Oliver Shop to pick up some essential kit.