cup sweetened flaked coconut
tablespoons butter, divided
1-1/4 cups uncooked basmati rice
poblano pepper, divided
(15-ounce)cans black beans, drained and rinsed
green onions, thinly sliced
chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 350° F . Bake coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
Bring broth, next 2 ingredients, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1 cup water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion and poblano pepper, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in black beans, chili powder, cumin, and 3/4 cup water. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
Grate zest from lime, avoiding pale bitter pith, into a bowl; squeeze juice from lime into bowl.
Fluff rice with a fork. Fold lime zest and juice, coconut, green onions, and cilantro into hot cooked rice. Serve bean mixture over rice with desired toppings.
- lime wedges, diced mango, sliced radishes, sliced fresh jalapeno peppers, sour cream
Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
This Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans recipe is perfect for a simple meal or to make as a side dish for dinner. Cooked with tangy lime juice and zest and some fresh cilantro, this dish has such a tasty flavor profile. If you want a vegan dish that is filling and tastes great, then this recipe will do the trick.
This dish is healthy and satisfying, but also easy to make. With little active prep time, you can put it together with minimal effort. This is also a perfect meal to serve to avoid allergens, as it's gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free. Let's look at the 5 ingredients needed to make this delicious Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans.
Here is what you need:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread out coconut on baking sheet and bake until toasted, 5-10 minutes.
2. Bring 2 1/2 cups of the broth, salt, pepper, and 2 Tbsp. butter to a boil in large saucepan. Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook about 20 minutes until water is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions 5-7 minutes, or until tender. Stir in black beans, spices, and 1 cup of broth. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. If bean mixture begins to look too dry, add a little more broth.
4. Roll the lime around on the counter, pressing down with your palm as you roll to loosen the juices. Remove rice from heat. Cut lime in half, then squeeze in juice from both halves. Stir in toasted coconut and cilantro.
5. To serve, spoon rice onto plate. Top with beans, and then garnish with sour cream and salsa.
How to make canned black beans CREAMY and FLAVORFUL
Some people think using canned beans results in less flavor and you lose the creamy texture, but I&rsquoll explain how to get lots of yummy flavor and still that awesome creamy texture below!
- DRAIN and RINSE the beans. This is super important- the liquid the black beans may cause digestive unpleasantness when ingested. Draining and rinsing them well will help make sure they&rsquore more easily digestible.
- Use lots of salt. The amount will depend on whether the canned beans you use have added salt or not, so make sure you taste them when you&rsquore done. If it seems like it&rsquos lacking something, add a little more salt to see if that helps.
- Use onions, fresh cilantro, and lime juice for added flavor. Lime and lemon juice has a similar purpose as salt when added to foods- it brings out the flavors of the ingredient you are using. These ingredients add fresh flavor to the beans that compliment their natural deliciousness!
- Mash a few of the beans. I recommend using a potato masher to mash the beans just a few times once they&rsquore done cooking. This will create an awesome creamy texture. You can use a fork and mash some of the beans on the side of the pot if you don&rsquot have a potato masher.
Black Beans and Rice
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Black Beans and Rice is a tasty Cuban recipe, with chicken broth, white rice, garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper and black beans.
There’s nothing better than Mexican Rice as a Side Dish Recipe to go with Latin food, except maybe Black Beans and Rice. The beans give the rice a delicious, rich flavor and are a great source of protein.
BLACK BEANS AND RICE
If you’re looking for a rice recipe with a quick cook time for a busy weeknight, then this is the recipe for you. Black Beans and Rice is a great side dish, and can be served up with burritos, enchiladas, tacos, and more. If this is your first time making dinner or you’re trying to teach the kids a fun way to cook rice, this is an easy recipe to start with.
The combined flavors in this Black Beans and Rice dish make it a perfect side dish to bring to family dinners and pot lucks. The dish is packed with flavor on its own and is well worth the minimal effort!